Applying to exhibit
Deadline for proposals
5pm Monday 30 April 2012
- SASA Gallery aims
- Who can apply
- Applicant information required
- Submitting proposal and further information
SASA Gallery aims
The South Australian School of Art (SASA) Gallery is a centre for high-quality research and an active site of teaching and learning. The aims of the SASA Gallery are to:
- showcase South Australian artists, designers, architects, curators and writers associated with the School of Art, Architecture and Design (AAD) in a national and international context
- support a program of researched exhibitions with a strong curatorial premise or rationale which focus on experimental, innovative and excellent contemporary art and design
- engage in dialogue and extend critical debate about contemporary visual art, design and culture;
- create opportunities, such as touring exhibitions, exchanges and residencies, for artists, designers, architects, curators and writers to engage in research of national and international relevance
- contribute to teaching and learning through student engagement with a professionally managed gallery; a nationally significant exhibition program; and mentored student centred learning projects
- create opportunities for staff and post-graduate students to contribute to the research output of the School of Art, Architecture and Design
- promote the School of Art, Architecture and Design as a centre of excellence and innovation in art, design, writing and curatorial practice.
Proposals for exhibitions and related projects are invited from artists, designers, architects, curators and writers who are postgraduate students, academics, graduates and others closely affiliated with the School of Art, Architecture and Design at the University of South Australia.
Priority will be given to proposals that:
demonstrate a strong curatorial premise or rationale and focus on experimental, innovative and excellent contemporary art
are clearly aligned with and support the SASA Galleries aims and objectives
- are accompanied by a scholarly catalogue
- demonstrate the capacity to project manage and finance the project.
- Proposal Cover Page:
- applicant/s name and contact details (phone, postal and email address)
- exhibition title
- brief summary about the exhibition (one or two sentences)
- preferred exhibition dates.
- Information about the exhibition:
- name of curator/s
- name of participating artists, designers, architects, writers
- synopsis of the curatorial theme or rationale
- brief overview of the exhibition
- summary of engagement with research
- specific installation requirements.
- Information about the catalogue writers and associated events:
- brief overview of the catalogue or written material associated with the exhibition
- brief summary about the writers
- summary of related events: guest lectures, residencies, artist talks, etc.
- Alignment with aims and objectives of the SASA Gallery:
- how is the exhibition aligned to the SASA Gallery aims and objectives?
- what are the anticipated research outcomes (ie exhibition, performance, publication, essays)?
- Project Budget
The budget should include:
- income - indicating sources of cash funds and in-kind contributions
- itemised expenditure.
- Curriculum Vitae for participating curator/s, artist/s, designer/s,
architect/s and writer/s
- Support material
Please provide a list of all support material with name, title, date, medium and dimensions and ensure all support material is labelled. The support material should include:
- confirmation that those named have agreed to participate
- 10 images for a solo show, maximum 20 images for a group show. Please note: digital images are preferred.
- audiovisual material must be on a DVD, maximum duration 10 mins
- examples of published texts by writers.
Deadline for proposal: 5pm Monday 30 April 2012
Please send applications to:
Keith Giles, SASA Curatorial Manager
K3-27 Kaurna Building, City West Campus
University of South Australia
GPO Box 2471
ADELAIDE SA 5001
For enquires and further information please contact Keith Giles, Curatorial Manager, SASA Gallery email: Keith.Giles@unisa.edu.au
We recommend that all applicants contact Dr Mary Knights, Director, SASA Gallery email: Mary.Knights@unisa.edu.au ), to discuss their proposal before submission. All decisions made by the SASA Gallery Programming Committee are final. If your application is unsuccessful in this round we encourage you to get feedback.