Jump to Content

Frequently Asked Questions


How do I enrol?

You can enrol online through MyEnrolment. If you have any problems enrolling, please contact Campus Central in the first instance.

What happens if the class I want to enrol in is full?

If a class for the course you need to enrol in is full, you can request a class override by completing this form. Not all requests can be met; due to health and safety regulations staff are not permitted to override classes past the room capacity. Contact Campus Central if you need assistance.

What are Study Periods?

Study Periods are terms or semesters of study. There are 7 Study Periods in a year. Undergraduate periods: Study Period 2 or SP2 (February to June) and Study Period 5 or SP5 (July to November) are the main teaching periods.

A limited number of courses are offered during SP1 & SP7 (Summer School) and SP4 (Winter School).

What is a sub-major?

A sub-major is a stream of related courses (normally six courses - 27 units) chosen from a discipline that will broaden your academic education and complement your Professional Major. Students usually study two courses of their sub-major per year. You may select your sub-major from the options offered by the School of Communication, International Studies and Languages, which have been developed to complement our Professional Majors, or from the completed list available on the university website at: http://programs.unisa.edu.au/public/pcms/Home/Majorssubmajorsminorsindex.aspx

Can I change my mind about my sub-major or minor?

Yes, you may. In your first year, this is usually not an issue, and completed courses can sometimes be credited to you. You'll need to check with your Program Director if this is possible.

In your second year, it becomes more difficult, although in some cases it is still possible. Again, you will have to consult with your Program Director.

MBAA Students: Can I change my mind about my second major?

Yes, you may, but you will need to have your second major decided by the end of the first year of study. After that, to ensure you complete all the courses required, you may have to extend the usual time taken to complete the program.

What is a minor?

A minor is a stream of four related courses chosen from a specific discipline area. In much the same manner as a sub-major, the minor will complement your major studies. If you intend to study the Master of Teaching, or would like to leave that option open, you should consult with your Program Director, who will advise you on the best course of study. You can choose your minor from this list.

What are electives?

Electives are courses in addition to the core and major/minor courses within your program. You may choose your electives from any discipline in the university. It's a good opportunity to study a subject that interests you, in what may be an unrelated area. Choose your electives from this list.

After your second year, it is extremely difficult, and usually involves adding extra time to the usual duration of your program.

Can I drop courses?

If you wish to cancel your enrolment, you must do so prior to the relevant census date in each study period. If you withdraw after the census date you will incur the relevant course fees, and the course(s) will be recorded on your academic record. Appeals against fees will not be upheld on the grounds that you were unaware of the census date.

I'm thinking about studying the Master of Teaching when I complete my undergraduate program. Do I have to decide in my first year?

If you're not sure, you can leave that decision until the end of your undergraduate degree. However, if you are considering it, you should consult with your Program Director to ensure you're taking the right mix of courses. That way, your options remain open.

I have completed some courses at another institution. Can I get credit for those studies?

Credit is dependent on the level of those courses, and when you completed them. If you received an award eg a Diploma, check on the online Credit Assessor. The Credit Assessor provides information on credit transfer arrangements between UniSA and other tertiary institutions e.g. TAFE. If previous studies are not listed in the credit assessor you can still apply for credit, by firstly comparing your previous studies (course, content, duration....) with the UniSA program or courses for which you are studying.  For individual courses, fill in an Application For Credit, entering details of what you believe the previous program/courses equivalent is to our UniSA courses, attach documentation, sign and submit it to Campus Central.

What is cross-institutional study?

Cross-institutional study is studying courses at a different university that count towards your degree. This can happen when UniSA doesn't offer a course that you are particularly interested in studying. Current UniSA students are required to complete this form when they want to study a course cross-institutionally.

Can I take a break from study?

Students are entitled to a total of 1 year of leave during study and can take leave after attempting one course. Students will need to fill in a Leave of Absence or Withdrawal from Program form. This form is for Australian Citizens, Permanent Residents or Temporary Residents not on a student visa ONLY. International Students studying in Australia, please complete this form.

Before submitting your form, it may be helpful to discuss any issues with your Program Director, Course Co-ordinator or a student counsellor.

I prefer to use my personal email for university notifications rather than my allocated university email. Is this possible?

The University will only send mail to you allocated student email address. However, you may redirect your university email to your personal address. Your provider should be able to show you how to do this. In most cases, including Gmail, you can simply add the account through 'Settings'.

How many hours should I study for each week?

On average there are 3 contact hours per course per week, in addition, students must do 3 hours individual study per 1 contact hour. This is a guide and you should check with your lecturer/tutor for each individual course.

Can I study overseas?

There is a range of overseas study options, which you can read about here. You can choose a full semester or shorter term option, and travel grants are available. Talk to your Program Director if you would like to consider this, as any courses studied overseas will need to be approved.

If you are studying a language within the School, there is the option of studying in the country of your target language, in Asia or Europe, as part of your course work. Discuss this with your language Course Co-ordinator; some travel grants are also available for this course.

The School of Communication, International Studies and Languages also offers the Hawke Ambassador Program, which gives you the opportunity to volunteer overseas, and earn 18 units towards your program. Please consult with your Program Director as soon as possible if you are interested in this option.

How do I plan my program if I want to study the Diploma in Languages?

The MDLA Diploma in Languages is equivalent to 1 year of full-time study (36 units), and students study either French, Italian Japanese or English as an Additional Language. You can usually complete both of your programs, the Bachelor and Diploma, by adding an extra year of study to your primary degree (i.e.  MBCD (3 years equivalent) + MDLA (1 year equivalent) Total = 4 years). You can find out more about the MDLA program structure here.

Can I do work experience during my degree?

Yes, you can. There is a Work Placement Scheme that you can access through the UniSA Career Shop. If you have organised your own work experience, you'll need to contact the School's Senior Placement Officer to ensure that you are properly registered for insurance coverage. You should not commence work experience without the appropriate insurance cover.