International Student Services

What's on

Reconciliation Week

National Reconciliation Week (NRW) has been held in Australia every year between May 27 and June 3 since 1996. It provides the opportunity for all Australians to reflect on the relationship between Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and other Australians.

May - Jun

Need some help?

Contact a Student Adviser (International)

We're here to help give you the best possible experience at UniSA.

Find out more image

Visa Information

Whilst living in Australia it is crucial that you always have a valid student visa. If you wish to extend your study you will need to be especially careful to make sure you continue to meet visa requirements. You must take responsibility for your own visa.

Know your student visa conditions

As an international student on a student visa, you have a number of visa conditions you must meet:

  • It is your responsibility to ensure that your passport and student visa are current, and that you apply for any renewal before it expires.
  • You must ensure that you are enrolled in at least one internal course in each compulsory study period and you must not undertake more than 25% of your total program externally (includes online).
  • You cannot have more than a 28 day calendar gap between periods of enrolment, with the exception of the end of year break.
  • You are required to complete your program within the duration specified on you Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE). This generally requires you to enroll in a full-time load per semester.
  • Your CoE may ONLY be extended in compassionate or compelling circumstances, for example if you have had an approved leave of absence or if it is part of an academic intervention strategy. You must have the required documentation to support your claims.
  • If you wish to vary your enrolment, you MUST first discuss your situation with your Program Director.

You must also ensure that you:

  • Attend classes
  • Demonstrate satisfactory performance
  • Enrol in accordance with your study plan
  • Do not work more than 40 hours per fortnight during teaching periods
  • Do not work in Australia before your program commences
  • Have current Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the entire length of your student visa
  • Inform the University of any change to your address or telephone contact details (your home country details should also be noted) within seven days.

This list of conditions is not exhaustive. More information about visa requirements can be found at the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP).

Extending your visa

If you wish to extend your visa, make sure you begin the process well before your visa expires. You should consult with and International Student Officer (by contacting Campus Central) and/or the Department of Immigration and Border Protection to ensure you understand the process of extending your visa.

As part of the visa renewal process, you will need to fill out form to request a Confirmation of Enrolment. Remember, your CoE may only be extended in compassionate or compelling circumstances. This will also need to be completed and signed by your Program Director. It must then be lodged at Campus Central and can take up to a week to process - so make sure you allow enough time before your visa expires. See more detail below in Frequently Asked Questions.

When ready, the CoE will be emailed to your student email account. You can then use it to apply for an extension of your student visa through the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

Frequently Asked Questions

Part-time study

In order to complete your program within the duration of your CoE, you should maintain full-time enrolment (usually 4 courses or 18 units per half year) unless there are exceptional reasons for not doing so and this is reflected in your Study Plan.

If you undertake less than a full-time load without University approval, you will not be permitted to extend your CoE (Enrolment policy - Clause 5 and 7). Australian law requires that an extension be granted only where there are compassionate or compelling circumstances. (These are generally circumstances beyond your control and which have an impact on your academic progress or well-being). Documentary evidence (eg. medical certificate) must support any application for an extension CoE.

For further information, contact Campus Central.


Attendance requirements

Student visa regulations require that you maintain satisfactory attendance and satisfactory academic progress. The University will monitor your academic performance in accordance with the Academic Review Policy. The University's Academic Review Policy can be found in the Assessment Policies and Procedures Manual - refer to sections 10.1 to 10.5.


External study

You can enrol in an external course (ie, online or by distance/correspondence) only if you are enrolled in at least one course in an internal mode (face to face) in a study period. However, you must not enrol in more than 25% of your program in an external mode over the duration of your entire program.


Part-time work

All international students are eligible to work subject to the following conditions:

  • Do not work in Australia before your program commences
  • Do not work for more than 40 hours per fortnight when your program is in session (during program breaks you may work full-time)

See Working in Australia.


Changing your address details

Lodge a Change of Address form within 7 days of the change of the address with Campus Central on your campus or change your address via myUniSA. It is very important that you do this as soon as possible as it is a condition of your student visa to keep your residential address and other contact details up to date.


Under 18 student requirements

Visa conditions require that International Students under 18 years of age have their accommodation and welfare arrangements approved by the University, unless they are living with an adult family member. The University will also be monitoring your academic progress.

Contact Campus Central on your campus for approval of any changes to your accommodation and welfare arrangements.


Non-compliance of student visa conditions

Your Student Visa may be cancelled due to non-compliance with your student visa conditions. If your Student Visa is cancelled, the Department of Immigration and Border Protection may impose a three year exclusion period on future visa applications to Australia such as a tourist visa, or a temporary or permanent residency visa.

If you fail to adhere to the conditions of your current Student Visa you may have difficulty returning to Australia at a later date to complete your study.


Changing program of study

You may change your program with the approval of the Program Directors concerned, usually after you have completed at least 6 months of your program.

  • If you are changing programs within a Division, seek approval from your current Program Director and the Program Director of your newly proposed program.
  • If you wish to change to a program in another Division, you will need to complete a new application and lodge it at Campus Central. It is advisable to first seek advice from the relevant Program Director. You may also wish to speak to Campus Central for further advice.

If you wish to change your program of study, it is your responsibility to check the fees that will be charged for your new program. You will need to pay fees that are applicable to the new program which may be more expensive than your first program.

Australian law requires the University to report all of the changes to your enrolment to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection. This will happen once you are accepted into a new program.

You need to take your new CoE to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection to have your visa information updated and in case you need to apply for a new visa for your new program (for example, if your new program finishes later than the one you were previously enrolled in).

If you require further information, please contact Campus Central.


Changing to another university

If you wish to transfer to another institution within the first 6 months of your study at UniSA you must apply for a Release Letter from UniSA International using the Application for Release Letter form.

Your application for a Release Letter does not guarantee that UniSA will release you from your program of study if you have not completed the first 6 months of study at UniSA. If you have completed 6 months of study at UniSA, you are entitled to transfer to another institution but should first withdraw from your UniSA program using the Withdrawal from Program form.

If you wish to change your level of qualification (eg, Bachelor to PhD), you may need to apply for a new student visa because your visa subclass will possibly change. Please see the DIBP website for more details.

If you require further information, please contact Campus Central.

Note: The Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) advises that students who were granted a visa under the Streamlined Visa Processing arrangements must stay enrolled in an SVP eligible program with an education provider participating in the arrangements.

Visa condition 8516 requires that 'The holder must continue to be a person who would satisfy the primary or secondary criteria, as the case requires, for the grant of the visa'. This means that students who were granted a visa under SVP must continue to maintain enrolment in an SVP eligible program and provider. If you are thinking about changing your program or provider, you need to ensure that you continue to meet the conditions of your student visa and should contact a Student Adviser (International) through Campus Central for advice.

If you do change your enrolment to a program or education provider that is not participating in the SVP arrangements, you no longer meet the criteria for which your visa was granted and may be considered for visa cancellation. DIBP actively monitors this and students should be aware that it is not acceptable to change or downgrade programs from a SVP eligible to a non-SVP eligible provider after arrival in Australia.

You may be required to return home, voluntarily cancel your student visa and apply for a non-SVP student visa from offshore. This will include additional financial and academic evidence.

Further information is available at the DIBP website.


Applying for a new student visa

If you do not complete your program within the duration of your current Student Visa, you will need to apply for a new Student Visa before your current one expires.

Follow these steps to apply for a further your Student Visa:

  • Apply for a new Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) document. Please note that a new CoE can only be granted in special circumstances - please refer to the 'How do I extend my Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)' FAQ. Make sure you apply for your new CoE early and before your current visa expires. Your new CoE will be sent to your student email account.
  • Extend your Overseas Student Health cover (OSHC) for the duration of your new visa.
  • Apply for a new Student Visa by applying online or via the form 157a available online, to be lodged at the Department of Immigration and Border Protection. You will need to provide a copy of your CoE document along with your passport.

It is important that you do not let your visa expire! You can make an appointment with an International Student Officer through Campus Central for assistance with the Student Visa application process.


Applying for a new Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)

You must complete your program of study within the length of time specified on your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE). The University will be able to extend your CoE document ONLY in limited circumstances, such as illness or where a student has remained fully enrolled but has not successfully completed all courses.

To apply for a new CoE, complete a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) request form available online or from Campus Central. Any CoE Request form must be supported by documentary evidence (eg. medical certificate from your doctor) and must also be approved by your Program Director. You will also require a new Study Plan which you must organise with your Program Director. The CoE Request form requires your Program Director's approval and signature.

When the form is complete you must lodge it at Campus Central, together with your new Study Plan. Also, you will have to bring along your passport to verify your present student visa status.

Your health cover should also be extended for the length of your expected visa (in most cases 15th March or 30th September). See more information about extending your Overseas student Health Cover.

For more information about your student visa responsibilities, please make a time to see an International Student Officer through Campus Central on your home campus.


The ESOS Framework - your student rights

The Australian Government wants overseas students in Australia to have a safe, enjoyable and rewarding place to study. Australia's laws promote quality education and consumer protection for overseas students. These laws are known as the ESOS framework and include the Education for Overseas Students (ESOS) Act 2000 and the National Code 2007.

Further information on the ESOS Framework can be found from the ESOS easy guide webpage. Research degree students can access a list of FAQs about student visa holders.

Please also visit Study in Australia.