The School of Education at the University of South Australia has a long and respected history of producing first class graduates and leaders within education across the nation.
Whilst it was formed only in 2003 from the deLissa Institute of Early Childhood and Family Studies and the Magill and Underdale Schools of Education, it brings with it and shares in the rich traditions of the institutions from which it was drawn.
Adelaide, Murray Park, Wattle Park, Western
& Salisbury Teachers Colleges
(Magill School of Education
In our programs and our research we consider the education and care of:
- Children aged 0-8 and their families at home and in kindergartens, care agencies, children's services and schools
- School-age children and students junior primary, primary, middle and secondary
- Young people who are post the compulsory age of schooling, and are completing their education in schools and/or vocational and higher education settings
- Adults in vocational, higher education, community, and workplace settings where professional and continuing learning and development occur.
We explore, teach about, research, create knowledge about and build capacities regarding:
- Methodologies/pedagogies for working with students of all ages in all such settings
- The contexts, purposes and outcomes of education in the various settings
- General and specific aspects of curriculum and carers and teachers work in these settings
- The processes of research, communication and advocacy in various settings
Our programs include:
- Professional qualifications for undergraduates and graduates who wish to become qualified:
- To register as a teacher in diverse kindergarten, junior primary, primary and secondary settings within South Australia (recognised in other states and territories)
- To work as a professional within diverse childcare, children's services and community settings
- To work with adults in diverse workplace, community and vocational settings.
- Post-graduate continuing education for educators in all settings
- Research degrees in education in all settings at Masters and Doctoral level.
Our staff members have a wide range of skills and knowledge and outstanding reputations within the state, nationally and internationally, for the excellence of their work as consultants, teachers and researchers. Through consultancies and joint research projects they are linked with education industry groups and universities in Australia and overseas.
The School supports, contributes to and is linked with a number of research centres and groups across the University and has its own Centre for Research in Education known as CREd with 11 diverse Groups researching many aspects of education at all levels.
We belong in the Education, Arts & Social Sciences Division of the University of South Australia.