Jump to Content

Student Learning Entitlement (SLE)

The SLE will be abolished from 1 January 2012.

The Higher Education Support Amendment (Demand Driven Funding System and Other Measures) Bill 2011 was passed by the Parliament in September 2011. This means that eligible students will no longer have a limit placed on how much study they can undertake as a Commonwealth supported student.


Students who have used up their SLE will be able to re-enrol from 1 January 2012 to complete their studies as a Commonwealth supported student (or undertake further study in a Commonwealth supported place). Those students who used up their SLE and have paid tuition fees for a fee paying place and/or received a FEE-HELP loan are not able to have their fees refunded or a reduction in their FEE-HELP debt.


The following information for SLE applies to enrolment up until Study Period 7 2011.


All Australian citizens, New Zealand citizens and holders of a permanent visa are allocated a Student Learning Entitlement (SLE). This is measured in equivalent full-time student load (EFTSL), which is the proportion of a full-time study load that a course of study you enrol in represents. The University sets an EFTSL value for each course of study it offers. The EFTSL value for each course indicates how much of your entitlement you will use if you undertake that course.

To be Commonwealth supported for a course, you must have enough SLE to cover the EFTSL value of the course you intend to undertake.

Ordinary SLE

All eligible students are allocated 'ordinary' SLE to the value of 7 EFTSL which entitles you to 7 years of equivalent full-time study as a Commonwealth supported student. It is important that you monitor how much SLE you have used, particularly if you decide during your program to commence a different program of study.

Additional SLE

You may also be entitled to additional SLE, which is an extra entitlement to ensure that you have enough SLE to complete at least one program of study as a Commonwealth supported student.  

Lifelong SLE

In order to encourage lifelong learning, eligible students will accrue lifelong SLE. Lifelong SLE will allow you to update, or add to your qualifications. You will be allocated 1 EFTSL of lifelong SLE:

You will accrue an additional 0.25 EFTSL on 1 January of each year after that.

How do I use my SLE?

You will use SLE on the census date for the course in which you are enrolled as a Commonwealth supported student. Your SLE is reduced by the EFTSL value of the course. You are not required to have enough of one particular type of SLE (e.g. enough ordinary SLE) to cover a course, so long as your total SLE available for the program of study covers it.

How do I find out how much SLE I have used?

As a Commonwealth supported student, you will be issued with a Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN) within 28 days after the census date for your courses of study. The purpose of the CAN is to provide you with information about how much Commonwealth assistance you have used and will include any reduction of your SLE for the courses covered by the CAN. This can be found in myUniSA under my Academic Record.

You should check the amount of SLE that the CAN states you have used. If you believe the amount of SLE you have used is incorrect, or if any other detail is incorrect, you have 14 days from the date of the CAN (or a longer period that your University allows) to give your University a written request, asking for the CAN to be corrected.

In conjunction with your CAN, you can check how much SLE you have used by logging in to myUniAssist via the Study Assist site.

Please note: Monitoring your SLE is your responsibility. If you do not have enough SLE to cover all of your courses your University must cancel your enrolment as a Commonwealth supported student.

What happens if I'm part way through my program and my SLE runs out?

If you run out of SLE part way through your program of study, you will no longer be Commonwealth supported for any remaining courses. Your University may (but is not required to) enrol you on a fee paying basis in your program. If you enrol as a fee paying student, you will be required to pay tuition fees. You may be entitled to a FEE-HELP loan for your tuition fees.