Amendment to enrolment and fees due to special circumstances
Students who withdraw from a course after the census date may apply for an amendment to enrolment and fees in special circumstances if they can demonstrate that special circumstances have impacted upon their ability to study. The special circumstances must be supported by documentary evidence.
Special circumstances, as outlined on the Study Assist government website, are those which include, but are not limited to, medical, family, personal, employment or course related circumstances which were:
- beyond the student's control, and
- did not make their full impact on the student until on or after the census date and
- the circumstances made it impracticable for the student to complete the requirements of the course during the study period in which the student enrolled in the course.
Requests for an amendment to enrolment and fees under special circumstances should be made using the Application for Amendment to Enrolment and Fees in Special Circumstances form. The form should be sent to Student Finance within 12 months of the student undertaking or withdrawing from the course(s) for which they seek amendment or remission. This requirement may be waived in circumstances where the student can demonstrate that lodgement of the application within the timeline was not possible. However late acceptance of the application does not guarantee that the amendment will be granted.
Student Finance will notify the applicant of the decision in relation to their request within 20 working days of the receipt of the request.
If the request for post-census amendment to enrolment is granted the University will:
- re-credit the student's SLE by removing their enrolment in the appropriate study period (for courses studied 2005-2011 only)
- refund any HECS-HELP
- arrange repayment to the Commonwealth of any HECS-HELP loan amounts received by the University
- arrange a refund of any up-front student contribution payments made.
If the request for post census amendment to enrolment and fees in special circumstances is denied, Student Finance will notify the student of the decision, the reason for the decision and the student's right of review.