Jump to Content

Student Insurance

Places on this page:

Useful links:

Student Insurance

Students are provided with a number of insurances while participating in approved University related activities such as lectures, field trips and placements:


Any enrolled student who is injured while participating in an approved University related activity is provided with Personal Accident insurance through the University. This insurance also provides cover while travelling directly to and from these activities and is designed to cover death, disablement or loss of income following an accident. Limited cover is provided for medical and emergency transport expenses, but does not apply to any part of an expense that is wholly or partially claimable through Medicare.

Injured Students should be directed to seek appropriate medical care in a public hospital (unless they hold their own private hospital cover).

  • International students claim against their OSHC insurance in the first instance.
  • This is a reimbursement policy. Students are responsible for payment of all medical accounts.
  • An Incident Report should be completed and submitted to the Insurance Office as soon as possible following any incident that may give rise to a claim.
  • The policy excess for Student Personal Accident insurance is $50. The University is not responsible for any expenses incurred by the student that are not recoverable from insurance including expenses that result from illness/sickness.
Cover is provided for students while on approved placement (or otherwise acting on behalf of the University) for any negligent act that results in property damage, illness or injury to a third party (excluding professional services).
Cover is provided for the negligent actions of students on approved placement in respect to breach of professional duty and/or the execution of professional services (excluding medical duties/activities).
Cover is provided for the negligent actions of students under supervision of a qualified practitioner while on approved placement or while acting on behalf of the University, in respect to medical duties/activities, including but not limited to the provision of advice, therapy, treatment or medication.  
TRAVEL INSURANCE (for eligible students)

UniSA provides eligible students with Travel Insurance for study related travel.

Travel Insurance cover is only provided free of charge if:

1.     Your trip does not exceed 180 days.
2.     You do not have any pre-existing medical conditions.
3.     Your age while travelling does not exceed 74 years.
4.     You are receiving academic credit for the study related travel.

If your circumstances are different to the above:

You may still be able to access UniSA travel insurance but your individual circumstances will need to be assessed.

Prior to commencing your travel you must:

Complete and return the UniSA Travel Insurance Student Assessment Form.  The Insurance Office will then advise you on cover and (where possible) arrange any necessary extensions to the policy.  Any additional premium or associated costs are the responsibility of the traveller.  Additional premiums must be paid prior to commencing your travel.

Travel Insurance Confirmation or Assessment:

To obtain confirmation or request an assessment of your eligibility for UniSA Travel Insurance please complete the UniSA Travel Insurance Student Assessment Form.

Policy excess:

UniSA Travel Insurance has a standard policy excess (or deductible) of $250 and a $500 excess for electronic equipment. The traveller is responsible for any excess deducted on settlement of a claim. 

UniSA is not responsible for expenses incurred that are not covered by the policy.

Travel Policy Information:

Please review these documents and contact the Insurance Office if you have any questions.


Note: University insurances do not cover students when they have acted unlawfully or wilfully negligent.

Student Placement

Students undertaking University approved Placement / Work Experience / Field Trips / Site Visits are provided with relevant insurance by the University as detailed above.

Students do not receive workers compensation entitlements when undertaking unpaid placement.

Conditions for Insurance Cover while on Placement:

Student Injury or Incidents

Any incident involving, or causing injury to, students while undertaking any University activity (such as lectures, field trips and placements) should be reported to the Insurance Office as soon as possible by completing either a relevant Incident Report.