Professional experience program leave
Professional Experience Leave is intended to provide for a period of
professional development to the mutual benefit of a staff member and the
Professional Experience Program leave is conducted in accordance with
University policy HR-9.2, "Professional Experience Program", and the
relevant section of the current collective/enterprise agreements.
PEP is approved on the basis of stated criteria. Please refer to
policy HR-9.2 for details.
Eligibility for PEP is outlined in Policy HR-9.2.
After returning from PEP a staff member will be expected to remain
the employment of the University for a further period of one year.
Further details are outlined in policy HR-9.2
The maximum period of a PEP is normally six months and generally will
not embrace more than one teaching semester.
A staff member will be paid his/her normal salary whilst on PEP.
Members of staff who are granted PEP may be given assistance towards
fares and other expenses at levels determined by Council from time to
A staff member who has returned from PEP shall submit to the
Professional Experience Program Committee a report in a format as
indicated in Appendix D of policy HR-9.2.
If a staff member, while on PEP leave, is sick for an extended period
of time, ie for more than five consecutive days, and wishes to extend
the period of PEP leave because of the sickness, the staff member must
negotiate any extension with the head of school and the human resources
Recreation leave accrued while on PEP leave is deemed to have been
taken during the period of PEP leave.
Local People, Talent and Culture (PTC) Contact
- a call for PEP applications is made via an all staff email
advising of the application process, opening and closing date for
- The local PTC contact will make contact with the relevant Head
of School, Director or manager to request a statement of support for
the staff member submitting an application
- The staff member discusses their intentions for PEP with their
Head of School as part of their ongoing performance conversation
prior to submission of an application
- The staff member submits their completed application via the
e-recruit system by the closing date noted
- Professional Experience Program
Checklist (pdf 120kb) - updated 21 February
Head of School, Director/Manager
- Discusses the staff memberís application for PEP with them
(aims, intended outcomes) as part of the performance conversation
prior to the staff member completing and submitting their
application via the e-recruit system submitting via e-recruit.
- Provides a statement of support to accompany the application for
consideration by the PEP committee
- If the application is not supported by the Head of School,
Director/Manager, they will advise the staff member of the reasoning
prior to the staff member submitting the application
- Once application for PEP submitted, Head of
School/Manager/Director to review and provide PTC statement of
- Ensures all applicants fulfil the eligibility criteria noted in
- Collates and sends applications for PEP to Head of School,
Director or Manager to review and provide a statement of support for
- Prepares a summary of applications to the PEP committee
- Convenes PEP committee and forwards copies of all applications
and summary to committee members
- Following the PEP committee meeting, the PTC team member will
notify each applicant of the decision in writing, either as a final
approval, provisional approval or non-approval.
- Sends a copy of the PEP summary to the Division or Portfolio
Finance Officer and Payroll Services
- If an application receives provisional approval pending further
information from the applicant, the PTC team member will coordinate
with the staff member to resubmit the application to the PEP
Committee for acceptance and conversion to final approval. They will
then advise the applicant of the outcome, and notify the Divisional
or Portfolio Finance Officer / Payroll Services.
- Considers all applications and either approves or does not
approve each application for all PEP applicants
- enters PEP details in EmpowerHr
- adjusts annual leave entitlements at commencement of PEP leave