Jump to Content

Visa information

While studying in Australia on a Student Visa you may have questions about conditions attached to your visa. This information site provides answers to frequently asked questions about visa rules and regulations. From this webpage you can also access other visa related sources of information.

Some addresses you will find useful are:

Useful information

International student visa conditions

You must have a valid passport and student visa. This will allow you multiple entries into Australia

It is your responsibility to ensure that your passport, Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) and student visa remain valid and that you abide by the conditions of your student visa. You MUST:

Please note that this is not a complete list. For further details regarding your student visa conditions, please refer to your visa grant letter and/or contact the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (see contact details above).

*For more information on recommended hours of working once your program of study or course has commenced, please refer to the Work rights information resource.

For information on your - Passport: Contact your High Commission or Embassy. Please refer to the Embassy and Consulate websites of other nations to Australia for an alphabetical directory of list of contact addresses of overseas embassies in Australia.

OSHC renewal: Contact Campus Central, UniSA.


Part-time study

In order to complete your program within the duration of your CoE, you should maintain full-time enrolment (usually 4 courses or 18 units per half year) unless there are exceptional reasons for not doing so and this is reflected in your Study Plan.

If you undertake less than a full-time load without University approval, you will not be permitted to extend your CoE (Enrolment policy - Clause 5 and 7). Australian law requires that an extension be granted only where there are compassionate or compelling circumstances. (These are generally circumstances beyond your control and which have an impact on your academic progress or well-being). Documentary evidence (eg. medical certificate) must support any application for an extension CoE.

For further information, contact the Learning and Teaching Unit on your campus.


Attendance requirements

Student visa regulations require that you maintain satisfactory attendance and satisfactory academic progress. The University will monitor your academic performance in accordance with the Academic Review Policy.

The University's Academic Review Policy can be found in the Assessment Policies and Procedures Manual - refer to sections 10.1 to 10.5.


External study

You can enrol in an external course (i.e.. online or by distance/correspondence) only if you are enrolled in at least one course in an internal mode (face to face) in a study period. However, you must not enrol in more than 25% of your program in an external mode over the duration of your entire program.


Part-time work

All international students are eligible to work subject to the following conditions:


Changing your address details

Lodge a Change of Address form within 7 days of the change of the address with Campus Central on your campus or change your address via myUniSA. It is very important that you do this as soon as possible as it is a condition of your student visa to keep your residential address and other contact details up to date.


Under 18 student requirements

Visa conditions require that International Students under 18 years of age have their accommodation and welfare arrangements approved by the University, unless they are living with an adult family member. The University will also be monitoring your academic progress.

Contact the Learning and Teaching Unit on your campus for approval of any changes to your accommodation and welfare arrangements.


Non-compliance of student visa conditions

Your Student Visa may be cancelled due to non-compliance with your student visa conditions. If your Student Visa is cancelled, the Department of Immigration and Border Protection may impose a three year exclusion period on future visa applications to Australia such as a tourist visa, or a temporary or permanent residency visa.

If you fail to adhere to the conditions of your current Student Visa you may have difficulty returning to Australia at a later date to complete your study.


Changing program of study

You may change your program with the approval of the Program Directors concerned, usually after you have completed at least 6 months of your program.

If you wish to change your program of study, it is your responsibility to check the fees that will be charged for your new program. You will need to pay fees that are applicable to the new program which may be more expensive than your first program.

Australian law requires the University to report all of the changes to your enrolment to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection. This will happen once you are accepted into a new program.

You need to take your new CoE to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection to have your visa information updated and in case you need to apply for a new visa for your new program (for example, if your new program finishes later than the one you were previously enrolled in).

If you require further information, please contact the Learning and Teaching Unit on your campus.


Changing to another university

If you wish to transfer to another institution within the first 6 months of your study at UniSA you must apply for a Release Letter from UniSA International using the Application for Release Letter form.

Your application for Release Letter does not guarantee that UniSA will release you from your program of study if you have not completed the first 6 months of study at UniSA. If you have completed 6 months of study at UniSA, you are entitled to transfer to another institution but should first withdraw from your UniSA program using the Withdrawal from Program form.

If you wish to change your level of qualification (i.e. Bachelor to PhD), you may need to apply for a new student visa because your visa subclass will possibly change. Please see the DIBP website for more details.

If you require further in formation, please contact the Learning and Teaching Unit on your campus.

Note: The Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) advises that students who were granted a visa under the Streamlined Visa Processing arrangements must stay enrolled in an SVP eligible program with an education provider participating in the arrangements.

Visa condition 8516 requires that 'The holder must continue to be a person who would satisfy the primary or secondary criteria, as the case requires, for the grant of the visa'. This means that students who were granted a visa under SVP must continue to maintain enrolment in an SVP eligible program and provider. If you are thinking about changing your program or provider, you need to ensure that you continue to meet the conditions of your student visa and should contact an International Student Officer at the Learning and Teaching Unit for advice.

If you do change your enrolment to a program or education provider that is not participating in the SVP arrangements, you no longer meet the criteria for which your visa was granted and may be considered for visa cancellation. DIBP actively monitors this and students should be aware that it is not acceptable to change or downgrade programs from a SVP eligible to a non-SVP eligible provider after arrival in Australia.

You may be required to return home, voluntarily cancel your student visa and apply for a non-SVP student visa from offshore. This will include additional financial and academic evidence.

Further information is available on DIBP website - http://www.immi.gov.au/Study/Pages/changing-courses.aspx


Applying for a new student visa

If you do not complete your program within the duration of your current Student Visa, you will need to apply for a new Student Visa before your current one expires.

Follow these steps to apply for a further your Student Visa:

It is important that you do not let your visa expire!


Applying for a new Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)

You must complete your program of study within the length of time specified on your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE). The University will be able to extend your CoE document ONLY in limited circumstances, such as illness or where a student has remained fully enrolled but has not successfully completed all courses.

To apply for a new CoE, complete a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) request form available online or from Campus Central. Any CoE Request form must be supported by documentary evidence (eg. medical certificate from your doctor) and must also be approved by your Program Director. You will also require a new Study Plan which you must organise with your Program Director. The CoE Request form requires your Program Director's approval and signature. When the form, is complete you must lodge it at Campus Central, together with your new Study Plan. Also, you will have to bring along your passport to verify your present student visa status.

Your health cover should also be extended for the length of your expected visa (i.e. in most cases 15th March or 30th September). For more information about extending your Overseas student Health Cover, please read the Overseas Student Health Cover FAQ online information site.

For more information about your student visa responsibilities, please make a time to see an International Student Officer at the Learning and Teaching Unit on your home campus.


The ESOS Framework - your student rights

The Australian Government wants overseas students in Australia to have a safe, enjoyable and rewarding place to study. Australia's laws promote quality education and consumer protection for overseas students. These laws are known as the ESOS framework and include the Education for Overseas Students (ESOS) Act 2000 and the National Code 2007.

Further information on the ESOS Framework can be found from the ESOS easy guide webpage.

Research degree students can access a list of FAQs about student visa holders.

Please also visit the Study in Australia website

Share |