Jump to Content

Working in Australia

As an international student you may wish to work while studying in Australia. You are permitted to work up to 40 hours per fortnight during the academic year and full-time during official university semester breaks. If you work more hours than this, you will be in breach of visa conditions and your visa may be cancelled. This rule applies to paid and voluntary work.

It is recommended that full-time research degree students undertake paid employment for no more than 8 hours per week or for a total of the equivalent of 8 hours per week over a twelve month period.

For more information about working in Australia please refer to our Work rights web page. Before you work in Australia you will need to be issued with a Tax File Number (TFN) from the Australian Taxation Office (ATO). More information about applying for a TFN is available on our Tax file number web page and the ATO website.

For more information about salary and working conditions please visit the Fair Work Ombudsman website. UniSA Career Services also provides a range of services and resources that will help you prepare for a successful transition from University to the world of work.

Share |