Student printing facilities
Students have access to a range of printing, scanning and photocopying services on campus. These services fall into two major groups based on the print management systems used to access them. All enrolled students receive a Printing allowance which provides printing located in student pools and barns. Additional printing facilities such as multifunction devices in the library are available through your MONITOR account.
- Printing allowance
- MONITOR Print/Photocopy account
- Differences between Printing allowance and MONITOR printing
- Page charges
- Ten tips to reduce your printing costs
The Printing allowance provides you with an initial amount of University-funded printing. Your allowance is associated with your computer network account and the cost of your printing is automatically deducted from your allowance as you print. You can, if you wish, purchase additional printing, increasing the balance of your print allowance. You will be unable to print if your balance is too low.
The Print allowance is for the current year finishing in mid to late December. Note that Study Period 7 continues into the following year so its associated printing allowance amounts are re-applied in early January.
Your Printing allowance provides access to
- Monochrome (black/white) laser printing in all General purpose computing pools and Computer barns (listed at UniSA student computer pools) and in some of the school-based Special purpose pools. A4 (plus A3 in some locations).
- A4 and A3 colour laser printing provided in Special purpose pools by the School of Art, Architecture and Design
More detailed information is available at UniSA student printing allowance.
Your MONITOR account starts with a zero balance and you can credit your MONITOR account by using the Autoloader machines in each campus Library. Your MONITOR account is accessed via your student ID card and your network username. Your MONITOR account gives you access to:
Library Multifunction Devices providing
- Photocopying (monochrome or colour)
- Colour printing
- Visit the Library's Printing and photocopying web page for more information
- Wide range of services including colour, binding, transparencies, large format printing
- Visit Document Services MONITOR system web pages for more information
You pay for your photocopying by swiping your student ID card through the MFD's card reader. You can print to the Library MFDs by selecting the appropriate print queue on any of the student computers in the Library (the MONITOR print queues are all clearly identified as "MONITOR" so you can tell when your printing will be deducted from your MONITOR account instead of your Printing allowance. A popup dialog box will appear when you send your document to a MONITOR printer to show you your MONITOR balance and the cost of the print job and ask you to confirm that you want to print it.
|Printing available from student PCs in||All ISTS-managed student PCs - including Library
(general purpose computer pools, computer barns and study rooms)
|Student PCs in Library only|
|Print queues recognised by||Queue descriptions (mostly) begin with "PRINT ALLOWANCE"||Queue descriptions begin with "MONITOR"|
|Printing funded by||Default Printing
plus optional student-funded allowance top-ups and/or optional school-funded allowance top-ups
Student-funded via MONITOR account payments
|Release print job to printer by||Print jobs automatically go straight to printer||Each print job must be confirmed via "Print job notification" popup dialog box|
|Select by||Default printers||Must select printer manually|
The following print charges apply for standard printing.
|Monochrome or colour||Paper size||Single or double sided printing||Cents per printed side|
- All printers provide A4 monochrome printing
- Most printers provide double side printing
- Some printers provide A3
- Colour printing is available on the Library MFDs plus special purpose computer pools in a few schools
- Print monochrome printing on the standard pool laser printers instead of the Library multifunction devices. Use of the pool printers is deducted from your UniSA printing allowance. Library MFD printing is deducted from your own funds in your MONITOR account.
- Only print colour when you need to.
- Print double-sided.
- Print PowerPoint slides 3 or 6 slides to a page, black and white only with no backgrounds to speed up printing and save your printing allowance.
- Don't print draft copies of your document for every minor revision.
- Before printing check print preview to find out how many pages will be printed.
- Only print the pages you need.
- If your print job does not print don't re-send it without first
checking the print queue from your PC
- There may be many other jobs ahead of yours or the printer may have run out of paper
- If you keep re-sending your document multiple copies will be printed later and deducted from your Printing balance
- You can delete your own print jobs from the queue to prevent this.
- If you can not wait for your print job to appear delete it from the print queue before you log off to avoid it being printed and deducted from your printing allowance.
- Protect your access to your IT facilities
(including your printing and Internet allowances) by:
- remembering to log off when you have finished using a computer
- locking your session with the security screen saver if you have to leave the computer, even temporarily
- protecting your password.