Professor Clive Prestidge
Tel: +61 8 8302 3569
Fax: +61 8 8302 3683
Associate Director: Nanomedicine
Research Professor of Colloid and Pharmaceutical Science
BSc(Hons) Loughborough, UK PhD Bristol, UK
Clive Prestidge is a physical chemist who specialises in fundamental and applied aspects of colloid and interface science. Clive's PhD from Bristol University was concerned with polymers at interfaces, in particular the application of FTIR to determine adsorbed polymer conformations. He joined the University of South Australia in 1990 as a post-doctoral fellow to investigate the colloid and surface properties of minerals, particularly applications to sulphide mineral flotation and alumina crystallization. During the late 90's Clive developed a strong interest in the application of colloid and interfacial chemistry to pharmaceutical delivery systems and has subsequently developed this area within the Ian Wark Research Institute and through a number of national and international collaborations.
Clive is currently a Research Professor and Associate Director: Nanomediciene at The Wark and leads research teams with a primary focus on nano-structured drug delivery systems and interfacial science applied to pharmaceutical formulation and delivery.
Clive is the author of over 100 refereed international journal articles, textbook chapters and conference papers and over 80 major project reports to industry. He has supervised 18 PhD, 5 MSc and 19 Honours students and has taken a leadership role in a number of major collaborative projects in association with national and international industries, the ARC, and University researchers from Australia and overseas. Prof Prestidge has attracted competitive research grants worth more than $5.1M from government and industry sources.
- Interfacial chemistry of colloidal systems and colloidal interactions
- Particle and polymer adsorption at solid and liquid interfaces
- Rheology of suspensions, polymer solutions, emulsions and foams
- Droplet interactions, emulsion stability and emulsion processing
- Colloidal drug delivery
- Solid state pharmaceutics
- Nanostructured materials as pharmaceutical delivery systems, eg.: dendrimers, porous silicon and nanoparticles for encapsulation
Supervisor - Available Postgraduate/Honours Projects
A physicochemical approach for optimizing drug delivery from biosiliconTM (P)
Dielectric properties and biological interactions of ultrathin polymeric coatings (P)
Interfacial properties of biological cells: Structure, deformation and interactions (P)
Interfacial properties of dendrimers for improved pharmaceutical activity (P)
Nanoparticle coatings for improved pharmaceutical delivery (P)
Nanoparticle liquid crystal hybrids: Physicochemical and biopharmaceutical investigations (P)
Novel methods for the development and manufacture of pharmaceutical nanoparticles (P)
A physicochemical approach for optimizing drug delivery from biosiliconTM (H)
Dielectric properties and biological interactions of ultrathin polymeric coatings (H)
Interfacial properties of dendrimers for improved pharmaceutical activity (H)
Nanoparticle coatings for improved pharmaceutical delivery (H)
Novel methods for the development of pharmaceutical nanoparticles (H)
Droplet deformation, droplet Interaction, emulsion stability and emulsion rheology (ARC SRC program)
Physico-chemical and biopharmaceutical investigations on novel drug delivery systems for oral administration of lipophilic drugs (ARC Discovery)
A physicochemical approach for optimising drug delivery from BiosiliconTM (ARC Linkage)
Interfacial studies of nanoparticulate dendrimers for improved biopharmaceutical application (ARC Linkage)
Improved oral delivery of poorly soluble drugs using nanoparticle encapsulation technologies
A novel liposome encapsulation method for protein delivery
Nanoparticulate encapsulation for new and improved cosmeceuticals
Feasibility study for evaluation of peptide binding and release from biosiliconTM
Interfacial modification for improved liposomal delivery
Deformation and interaction of blood cells & blood rheology
Centre for advanced pharmaceutical formulation, characterisation and manufacture
Innovative Centre for Drug Formulation and Delivery (SA Govt Science and Technology Initiative)
1. C.A. Prestidge, 'From Novel Monodisperse Silicone Oil"/Water Emulsions to Drug Delivery', in "New Frontiers in Colloid Science", S. Biggs, T. Cosgrove and Peter Dowding (Eds), Royal Society of Chemistry, 2008, pp. 70-89.
2. J. Addai-Mensah, C.A. Prestidge, "Structure Formation in Dispersed Systems", in Coagulation and Flocculation (Surfactant Science Series) 2nd Edition, GB H. Stechemesser and B. Dobias, 2005 volume 126, p. 135-216.
3. St.C. Smart, J. Aramantides, W.M. Skinner, C.A. Prestidge, L. La Vanier and S.R. Grano, Surface Analytical Studies of Oxidation and Collector Adsorption in Sulfide Mineral Flotation, K. Wandelt, S. Thurgate (Eds.): Solid-Liquid Interfaces, Topics Appl. Phys. 85, 3-60 (2003) Springer-Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg.
4. C.A. Prestidge, J. Ralston and R.St.C. Smart, The Actions of Cyanide in the Flotation Separation of Base-Metal Sulphides. In "Innovations in Mineral Processing", T. Yalcin (ed.), ACME printers, Sudbury, Ontario, (1994) pp.67-97.
5. R.St.C. Smart, P. Arora, R.A, Hayes, B.S. Kim, C.A. Prestidge and J. Ralston, Chemical and Structural Alterations in the Surface Layers of Oxides and Sulphides, in "Science of Ceramic Interfaces II" (Ed. J. Nowotny), Materials Science Monographs, Elsevier (Amsterdam), pp. 311-340 (1994).
Recent Refereed Journal Articles
1. A. Tan, A. Martin, T. Nguyen, B. Boyd, and C. A. Prestidge, "Hybrid Nanomaterials that Mimic the Food Effect: Controlling Enzymatic Digestion for Enhanced Oral Drug Absorption" Angewandte Chemie, 2012
http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/ange.201200409 for the German Edition and http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/anie.201200409 for the International Edition
2. K. L. Jarvis, T. J. Barnes, C. A. Prestidge, "Surface chemistry of porous silicon and implications for drug encapsulation and delivery applications", Adv. Colloid Interface Sci , http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cis.2012.03.006
3. K. Bremmell, A. Tan, A. Martin, Y. Song, and C. A. Prestidge, "Silica nanoparticle-lipid hybrid microcapsules forming tablets for oral dosing of poorly soluble drugs" Int. Journal of Pharmaceutics, in press
4. C. P. Whitby, L. Lim, N. Ghouchi Eskandar, S. Simovic and C. A. Prestidge, "Poly(lactic-co-glycolic acid) as a Particulate Emulsifier" Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 375, 142-147, 2012.
5. N. Ghouchi Eskandar, S. Simovic and C. A. Prestidge, "Solid-state nanoparticle coated emulsions for encapsulation and improving the chemical stability of all-trans-retinol", Int J. Pharmaceutics, 423, 384? 391, 2012.
6. S. Simovic, T.J. Barnes, A. Tan, C. A. Prestidge, "Assembling Nanoparticle Coatings to Improve the Drug Delivery Performance of Lipid Based Colloids" Nanoscale, 4 (4), 1220-1230, 2012.
7. K. L. Jarvis, T. J. Barnes, C. A. Prestidge, "Surface chemical modification to control molecular interactions with porous silicon", Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 363, 327-333, 2011.
8. Yao-Da Dong, I. Larson, T. Barnes, C.A. Prestidge, B. Boyd "Adsorption of non-lamellar nanostructured liquid crystalline particles to bio-relevant surfaces for improved delivery of bioactive compounds" ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 3(5) 1771-1780, 2011
9. M. D. Kurkuri, F. Al-Ejeh, Jun Yan Shi, D. Palms, C. A. Prestidge, H. J. Griesser, M. P. Brown and B. Thierry, "Plasma functionalized PDMS microfluidic chips: towards point-of-care capture of circulating tumor cells", Journal of Materials Chemistry, 21, 8841?8848, 2011
10. S. Simovic, N. Ghouchi Eskandar, M.S. Aw, D. Losic and C.A. Prestidge, "Silica Materials in Drug Delivery Applications", Current Drug Discovery Technologies, 8 (3), 250-268, 2011
11. Li Hui Lim, A. Tan, S. Simovic, C.A. Prestidge, "Silica-lipid hybrid microcapsules: Influence of lipid and emulsifier type on in vitro performance", Int J. Pharmaceutics, 409 297?306, 2011
12. A. Tan, A.K. Davey, C.A. Prestidge, Silica-lipid hybrid (SLH) versus non-lipid formulations for optimising the dose-dependent oral absorption of celecoxib, Pharmaceutical Research, 28 2273?2287 2011
13. N. Ghouchi Eskandar, S. Simovic and C. A. Prestidge, "Interactions of hydrophilic silica nanoparticles and classical surfactants at non-polar oil-water interface", J. Colloid Interface Science , 358, 217-225, 2011.
14. N. Ghouchi Eskandar, S. Simovic and C. A. Prestidge, "Pickering emulsions for dermal delivery", J. Drug Delivery Science and Technology 21(1), 123-133, 2011.
15. T. J. Barnes, Ivan M. Kempson, C. A. Prestidge, "Surface analysis for compositional, chemical and structural imaging in pharmaceutics with mass spectrometry: A ToF-SIMS perspective", Int J. Pharmaceutics, 417, 61-69, 2011.
16. Kempson, A. Martin, J. Denman, P. French, C.A. Prestidge, T. Barnes, "Detecting the presence of Denatured Human Serum Albumin in an Adsorbed Protein Monolayer using TOF-SIMS", Langmuir , 26(14), 12075-12080, 2010.
17. K. Jarvis, T. Barnes and C.A. Prestidge, "Thermal oxidation for controlling Protein Interaction with Porous Silicon" Langmuir, 2010, 26(17), 14316-14322.
18. S. Parimi, T. Barnes, D. Callen, C.A. Prestidge, "Mechanistic Insight into Cell Growth, Internalization, and Cytotoxicity of PAMAM Dendrimers", Biomacromolecules, 11, 382-389, 2010.
19. V.J. Mohanraj, T.J. Barnes, C.A. Prestidge, "Silica Nanoparticle Coated Liposomes: A New Type of Hybrid Nanocapsule for Proteins", Int J. Pharmaceutics, 392, 285-293, 2010.
20. A. Tan, S. Simovic, A.K. Davey, B. Boyd, T. Rades, C.A. Prestidge, "Silica Nanoparticles to Control the Lipase-Mediated Digestion of Lipid-Based Oral Delivery Systems", Molecular Pharmaceutics, 7, 522-532, 2010.
21. A.K. Panda, K. Vasilev, S. Orgeig, C.A. Prestidge, "Thermodynamic and structural studies of mixed monolayers: mutual mixing of DPPC and DPPG with DoTAP at the air-water interface", Materials Science & Engineering C., 30, 542-548, 2010.
22. F. Wang, H. Hui, T.J. Barnes, C. Barnett and C.A. Prestidge, "Oxidized Mesoporous Silicon Microparticles for Improved Oral Delivery of Poorly Soluble Drugs", Molecular Pharmaceutics, 7, 227- 236, 2010.
23. S. Simovic, P. Heard, H. Hui, Y. Song, A. Davey, T. Rades, C.A. Prestidge "An oral delivery system for Indomethicin engineered from cationic lipid emulsions and silica nanoparticles" Journal of Controlled Release, 143, 367-373, 2010.
24. S. Simovic, P. Heard, C. A. Prestidge, "Hybrid lipid-silica microcapsules engineered by phase coacervation of Pickering emulsions", Physical Chemistry and Chemical Physics, 12, 7162-7170, 2010.
25. I. Kempson, T. Barnes and C.A. Prestidge, "Use of ToF-SIMS to study adsorption and loading behaviour of methylene blue and papain in a porous silicon layer", Journal of the American Society for Mass Spectrometry., 21, 254-260, 2010
26. N. Ghouchi Eskandar, S. Simovic and C. A. Prestidge, "Mechanistic insight into the dermal delivery from nanoparticle-coated submicron O/W emulsions", J. Pharmaceutical Sci, 99: 890-904, 2010
Full List (PDF 32kb)