The Wark fund
Wark Fund was established in 2008 to secure funding to support the
activities of The Wark. Its primary objective is to support us in the
pursuit of excellence in research and research education. Our proven track
record for delivering outstanding returns on investment dollars means that
your gift will make a difference many times the value of the donation.
What makes The Wark special?
- Our founding Director, Laureate Professor John Ralston, was recipient of multiple prestigious awards for science, education and community service, including an Officer of the Order of Australia.
- The Wark is the Australian Research Council Special Research Centre for Particle and Material Interfaces, a status conferred by the Federal Government in October 1999.
- We were the Headquarters of the Australian Mineral Science Research Institute (AMSRI), in partnership with the Universities of Melbourne, Newcastle, Queensland, major industry sponsors including BHPBilliton and Rio Tinto, the ARC and the State Governments of South Australia and Victoria.
- We are home to ANFF-SA and the SA Regional Microscopy and Microanalysis Facility, representing the South Australian nodes in the National Collaborative Research Infrastructure Strategy.
- We have modern, purpose-built research facilities and an extensive range of state-of-the-art instrumentation, worth in excess of AU$40 million.
- The Wark has an outstanding graduate employment record - over 165 graduates are employed in industry, government or other higher education institutions.
- Our mineral processing work has been independently assessed (by RMD-STEM) and we produce a return to the minerals industry of better than 20:1 for each dollar invested.
- We have 20 patent applications at various stages of submission and across a broad range of research fields.
- The Australian Academy of Science has dubbed The Wark an "Australian national treasure".
What can you do?
Whether you are a corporate leader, a scientist or simply someone who believes in the importance of supporting innovation in science and technology, The Wark Fund offers an opportunity to make a difference over the long-term.
There are many ways that you or your organisation can help - donations of any value, named scholarships or fellowships, bequests, gifts of assets or property. We appreciate all donations, small or large.
All donations support The Wark's research and postgraduate education programs. For example:
- Student prizes and awards to recognise excellence, enhance career prospects, and facilitate attendance at international conferences.
- Student scholarships to create opportunities for study and attract and retain quality postgraduate students.
- Fellowships to attract and retain quality staff and thereby increase the depth of high-profile research capability.
- Professorial Chair positions to build on existing research strengths or to develop wider expertise in emerging areas of identified national importance.
- The acquisition of state-of-the-art research equipment and instrumentation.
We honour any request for a donation to be used for a specific purpose
provided it is consistent with our operating principles and key objectives.
Your gift will not be used to cover administrative costs or fund-raising
For further information about The Wark Fund and how we ensure that your donation is put to the best possible use, please contact Ms Yvonne Clark