Higher Education Research Data Collection
Guide to HERDC research income
The Guide to HERDC research income aims to assist University staff to fulfil their responsibilities by identifying the key concepts and University processes relating to HERDC Research Income Return. It includes information on maximising the University's research income; accessing account codes; case studies; and definitions of research and research incomes.
Universities must provide research income grouped in the following four categories:
- Category 1: Australian Competitive Grants
- Category 2: Other Public Sector Research Income
- Category 3: Industry and Other Research Income
- Category 4: Cooperative Research Centre (CRC) Research Income
Research income collection
Income reportable under the HERDC is collected via the Project Quality System and recorded in Research and Innovation Services Research Information System. Research and Innovation Services is responsible for the verification of all research income reported via the HERDC.
The following information will assist you with the initial coding of your projects:
- Definitions: Research Data Collection - Research Income Category
- Definitions: Research Data Collection - Type of Research Activity (TOR)
- Field of research (FOR) Codes and Socio-Economic Objective Classification (SEO) Codes