Jump to Content


Biosafety covers the proper use of biologically hazardous material. Biological hazards include any biological or pathogenic agent, substance or material (living or non-living) that may pose a threat to the health and safety of the researcher, participants, community or environment, or needs special precautions to be taken in their use or storage.

  • You are required to consider biosafety, health and safety issues related to your teaching or research and comply with the legislative and regulatory requirements.
  • If your work involves pathogenic substances in Risk Group 3 or 4 (AS/NZS2243.3) you must apply for approval. Access AS/NZS2243.3 via the SAI Global online public database via the UniSA Library

You must gain approval from the Institutional Biosafety Committee prior to commencing teaching or research involving the use of biological hazardous material.

Policies and guidelines

Refer to University policy RES 4.3

Application forms

Completed application forms including all relevant signatures
must be submitted to: ethics@unisa.edu.au


Once you submit your application, feedback (which might include the requirement that your application be considered by a full Institutional Biosafety Committee meeting) will take a maximum of 10 working days. Please contact the IBC Executive Officer if you have not had a response within this timeframe.


Imported biological products must have an Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service (AQIS) permit for importation and AQIS approval for transfer to another institution.

For all AQIS permit applications, please contact the IBC Chair (for City East campus) before submitting an importation application.

Security Sensitive Biological Agents

Important Note: There are no facilities within South Australia currently available to undertake research using SSBAs.

For Biological Hazards applications involving the use of Security Sensitive Biological Agents (SSBA), please check the SSBA website (Department of Health and Ageing), and SSBA newsletters (published monthly).

Useful links