Jump to Content

< back

Can I take leave of absence from my program?

Return to: AskGRC (Graduate Research Centre)

International student visa holders only

All research degree students are entitled to twenty days recreation leave in each full-time equivalent year of enrolment.  This is not deemed to be leave of absence.

Any leave required in excess of the twenty days is permitted only where there are compassionate/compelling reasons

Please see an International Student Officer at the Learning and Teaching Unit in the first instance to confirm whether you are eligible. If so, please complete the Leave of absence form  

Please note that the University is obliged to inform the Department of Immigration of any approved leave.  This may result in cancellation of your CoE which may affect your student visa. Student and Academic Services (SAS) will issue you with a new CoE (where required).  It is your responsibility to ensure that you have the appropriate visa prior to returning to studies.