Jump to Content

< back

Can I work while studying?

Return to: AskGRC (Graduate Research Centre)

International student visa holders only

The University's Research Degrees Committee recommends that full-time research degree students undertake paid employment for no more than eight hours per week or for a total of the equivalent of eight hours per week over a twelve month period. The hours of employment include marking and preparation associated with part-time teaching duties.

You will require the approval of the University through your supervisor and, where hours exceed the recommended 8 hours, approval must also be provided by the relevant Associate Dean: Research Education. You must notify the Scholarships and Candidature team in Student and Academic Services (SAS)  of any work undertaken and any change in employment details.

The University is aware that the above may differ from student visa work entitlements however recommends limited working hours due to the strict requirements of the program and because students must complete their program within the duration of their CoE.

Employment cannot be grounds for an extension to scholarship or application to go overtime.