Jump to Content

Research degree International Travel Grants:
Student Mobility

International candidatesAustralian candidateAs part of UniSA's internationalisation strategy, Graduate Research (GR), Student and Academic Services (SAS), in conjunction with UniSA International as part of their Student Mobility Implementation strategy, is offering a number of international travel grants.

Research degree students are to demonstrate international perspectives in research in a discipline or professional area and as a leading citizen as part of the Research Degree Graduate Qualities



The purpose of the grant is to provide the opportunity for research degree students to gain an international perspective that enhances their research experience and improves their thesis by providing the opportunity to undertake research or work with world class institutional or industry partners in overseas locations, additional data collection and presenting their research.

Whilst overseas, a research degree student will be expected to be an 'ambassador' for UniSA and build research relationships with academics at the overseas institution.

These grants provide funding towards:

  • gaining industry or academic experience at world-class institutions or industry partners
  • overseas field trips for the purpose of data collection that enhances the thesis (eg. produces a paper as a result)
  • presenting a refereed conference paper
  • collaborating for the purpose of research partnerships, such as co-authoring a refereed journal article.

Note: Travel for the purpose of data collection may only be included where it 'enhances' the research project but not where the data collection is 'central' to the research project. The travel grant should not be relied upon to ensure the required data collection for the research project can be undertaken. The travel grant will not solely be awarded for presenting a refereed conference paper; it must also include collaborations with institutions or industry partners.

Are you eligible?

These travel grants are available to research degree students, who are undertaking a Doctoral degree (PhD or Research Professional Doctorate) at the University of South Australia.

The applicant:

  1. must be currently enrolled at the University of South Australia for a Doctoral degree and be in their second or early third year of candidacy (or an equivalent period part-time)
  2. should ensure they have completed and had their research proposal accepted and have the appropriate ethics and/or safety clearances
  3. must be making satisfactory progress and is likely to complete their degree within the required timeframe
  4. is to provide evidence of the manner in which the research and thesis will be enhanced by the visit overseas
  5. has gained unqualified support from the supervisor for the proposed overseas visit
  6. is to provide confirmation from the overseas institution that arrangements have been finalised or are in the process of being finalised
  7. must indicate how contact will be maintained with the supervisor and the University whilst overseas.

Research Degree International Travel Grants are very competitive and shortlisted applications will be presented to a selection panel for assessment, based on:

  • meeting eligibility criteria
  • demonstrated capacity for independent research and intention to publish
  • the content of the application
  • the financial resources available to the applicant
  • the support of the Supervisor and approval by the Associate Dean: Research Education (or equivalent)
  • the overseas institution where the candidate will be researching
  • confirmation of funds to be provided by the division/institute/school/centre
  • alignment of the proposed research with the University's Strategic Plan which includes the transformed PhD.

Where possible applicants should address how the international travel grant will support:

  • productive collaborative research with a world-class international partner or institution, or with which UniSA has an agreement
  • opportunities to produce a refereed paper as a result of the international visit
  • presenting a refereed conference paper
  • 'Jointly supervised PhDs'
  • the enhancement of the University's reputation.


Value of the grant

The total grant will be funded jointly between Student and Academic Services (SAS) through the Student Mobility Implementation fund, and the Division/School/Institute in which the student is enrolled.

The total value of the grant will normally be up to $5,000 towards travel and living expenses. SAS will provide up to a maximum of $3,000, with the Division/School/Institute to provide up to a maximum of $2,000. The selection panel reserves the right to change any variations on the maximum amount and will be reviewed on a needs basis.

Research degree students will need to provide a budget to indicate the cost of the travel. It is the expectation of the selection panel that any gap in funding from the amount requested and the travel grant contribution will be met by funds available to the supervisory panel.

Method of payment

Successful applicants are paid the full grant directly to the nominated bank account.

Number of grants available

It is anticipated that approximately 20 grants per year will be funded.

Length of stay overseas

The minimum period for funding shall normally be six weeks and the maximum period shall depend on the length of candidacy, but notionally will not be greater than four months.


How to apply and closing dates

Please refer to Are you eligible? for the criteria you will need to address in your application.

Application form

Successful applicants will be advised by email within one month of the closing date.

Please note: sections to be completed by the student, principal supervisor, head of school/director of institute and Associate Dean: Research Education (or equivalent).

Closing dates

Applications must be lodged with the division/institute research office no later than:

  • 15 February for grants to be taken between July and December
  • 30 June for grants to be taken between January and June of the following year


Visas, insurance, health and safety

Research degree students must arrange their own health and personal travel insurance and appropriate visas.

Use of the UniSA Travel Team for bookings is strongly recommended.

Normally research degree students travelling on University approved business as part of their degree are covered for Professional Indemnity, Public Liability, Personal Accident and Travel. For clarification, please contact the University's Insurance Officer.

Research degree students must also:


Recreational travel

A research degree student whilst using an international travel grant may prolong their overseas stay to include recreational travel at their own expense. However, the research degree student must get prior written approval of their proposed recreational travel from their Supervisor, in consultation with their school/institute.


Research degree students cannot use the length of time spent overseas as a reason for either a scholarship or candidacy extension.

International research degree students must ensure that if they are successful in obtaining a grant that the travel overseas does not affect their Australian visa. Contact the Department of Immigration for details.


Reporting requirements

On return to UniSA, research degree students must provide a brief report describing the work undertaken to the Division/Institute Research Management Committee on their return to UniSA.

This report is also required to specify how grant funds were utilised.