We prefer to use Australian English spelling conventions in
marketing materials. Make sure that your computer and Word spell checking
function are set to use Australian English as the default, including:
- ‘-ise’/’-yse’ not ‘-ize’/’yze’ endings: e.g. specialise NOT
specialize; analyse NOT analyze
- single not double consonants: e.g. focusing NOT focussing;
Be aware of exceptions to this rule: e.g. cancelled,
- ‘-our’ not ‘-or’ endings: e.g. colour NOT color;
Other preferred spellings
- Use accents in words where their removal may suggest another
pronunciation: e.g. résumé and resume
- Program NOT programme, except where used in an
official title: e.g.
Higher Education Loans Programme
Hyphens for advice on hyphenation.
When in doubt, check spellings in an Australian English
Setting up a style sheet
(RTF file) helps maintain consistency. See the
quick reference style sheet
(RTF file) for some preferred UniSA-specific spellings.