Setting up redirects on your website
Setup redirection at web page level
It is good web practice to set up redirects on your old site's web pages, where you may have created a new website to now use. Users may have previously saved the old URL to their Internet Browser favourites/bookmarks that will no longer work, or they will be used to navigating to a certain path in their browser to find the information they want. Redirects are much friendlier than the 'page not found' message, or the user viewing old data.
To place a redirect in a web page, delete all content on the page and include the below code at the top of your page:
- In SharePoint Designer, go into the Code version of your webpage
- Insert the following script right at the top of the page
- <%@ Language=VBScript %>
Response.Status="301 Moved Permanently"
Response.AddHeader "Location", "http://www.unisa.edu.au/"
- Make sure you change the URL to the page you want users to be redirected to (in the example above the URL to change is "http://www.unisa.edu.au/")
- Test the page in the browser
- Publish the page.
Requesting redirection at website or virtual level
What is the difference between website and virtual redirects?
A website redirection is where you have an existing website and URL that needs to be redirected to another URL.
A virtual redirection is a URL that doesn't already exist but redirects to an existing URL. For example, virtual redirects are used in marketing campaigns for clear and easy call to actions.
- www.unisa.edu.au/decisiontime is the virtual URL which redirects to www.unisa.edu.au/applicants/default.asp
- www.unisa.edu.au/ditm is the virtual URL which redirects to http://www.cis.unisa.edu.au/DITM/index.html
If there is a need for a whole website or a virtual page to be redirected, you can request this be done at server level.
The policy is for a 6 month redirect only but if there is a legitimate business case to have a website redirect for longer, please inform the Corporate Web team.To request a website or virtual redirection please fill in the details at:
Requesting redirection (staff access only)