Opening your site
Once your new site is published, NEVER edit a webpage by accessing SharePoint Designer from the web browser. Always open SharePoint Designer from your Programs menu or desktop.
If you are using Windows XP
- Select Start, point to All Programs > Microsoft Office > SharePoint Designer (if you are using Microsoft Windows 2000, point to Programs instead of All Programs)
- Right click SharePoint Designer, point to Send To > Desktop (create shortcut) - a shortcut icon for SharePoint Designer will appear on your desktop
To access either your new or existing site
- Open SharePoint Designer 2007
- Go to File, then Open Site... (or Open Web... if SharePoint Designer 2002)
- In the Open Web dialogue box select Web Site from the the left hand side (My Network Places in SharePoint Designer)
- In the box called Folder name, type in http://www.newdev.unisa.edu.au/* (where * = the usual extension for your site on the web eg 'art' or 'sas') if you are authoring a new site, or http://www.olddev.unisa.edu.au/* if you making changes to a site not converted to the corporate web templates
- Click Open
- If asked to enter your network password, enter your domain and usual user logon in the first line (ie UNINET\yourusername) and your usual password in the next line
- Click OK and this screen will close
- Click Open on the next screen
- Your web will open and you can now create/edit your site
After the first time of opening a new site, you won't have to type in the URL - the site will automatically be saved and listed under Web Sites.